Thursday 27 August 2015

AUTHOR IN THE SPOTLIGHT - Steve McHugh

I am delighted that STEVE MCHUGH is joining me on my blog today. Steve's latest book in his Hellequin Chronicles series - Lies Ripped Open - was published on 25 August 2015. 




What inspired you to write a book in the first place?
My wife and three daughters mostly. They inspire me to write pretty much all the time. I’m constantly wanting to better myself, to be the best writer I can be because my wife reads my books and if it’s not good enough, she will tell me.
On a more specific thought, I wanted to write Lies Ripped Open since the first word of Crimes Against Magic. LRO has a lot of answers about Nate, his friends, his enemies, and the world he lives in. It has a lot of questions too, and I’m looking forward to building on what’s gone so far.

Describe your writing style in 10 words or less?
That might be the hardest question I’ve ever been asked. I’ll give a go.
Fun, energetic, easy to read, non-flowery.
Yeah, that’ll do.

Do you have any strange writing habits?
I’ve been asked this before, and I don’t. Rather, I don’t think I do. I should get myself a strange habit. But if I do that, it’ll probably end up causing the OCD part of my brain to freak out.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? Do you plot out the whole book before you start or just start writing and see where it leads you?
Bit of both. I wrote Crimes Against Magic as a complete pantser and I’ll never do that again as it was insane and took three to four years to write.
I tend to have the plot worked out. Beginning and end are all known. I know the main characters plots and where things should be going, but I leave the actual chapter contents up to whatever happens to come out when I actually start writing. It’s nice to be surprised.
When you wrote Crimes Against Magic (The Hellequin Chronicles 1), did you plan that it would be the start of a series?
Yes. It was always going to be the first book in a series. Originally it was going to be a dozen books, but it’s expanded somewhat.

Your books include a lot of world mythology – how much research do you do before you start writing?
There’s quite a bit of research into mythological beings, and then more to try and twist them into something usable, something people might not expect.
More research is done on the flashback parts. I don’t tend to write the dialog as they would have spoken back in the day (because the switch from past to present would be a massive shock), but I do like to have the technology, and the like, the descriptive parts of the flashbacks correct. I like research, so it’s all good.

What’s the best part of creating a completely fictional world with mythical and fantasy creatures?
I get to do crazy stuff with them. I want Nate to fight a Japanese spider-monster, I can do that. I want Hades to be a badass, I can do that too! Basically I created a world, which while based on our world, has all of this insanity in it. It’s fun to play with.

Who are your favourite authors?
This could turn into quite the list, so you might want to get comfortable:
Terry Pratchett, Robin Hobb, Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, John Connolly, Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Kurtis Wiebe, Ray Bradbury, Jen Williams, and far too many more to write without just making this a massive list.

If you were writing a book about your life, what would the title be?
Well That Was Unexpected.

What advice do you have for aspiring writers?
Don’t try to write a bestseller, or try to write a book you think people want to read. Write a book you want to read. Everything else will fall into place, but if you’re not invested 1000% no one else will be.

And lastly, why should people read your Hellequin Chronicles series?
They should read it because I really enjoy writing them, because I think other people will like them too, and because they have a 1600 year old sorcerer who kicks ass and doesn’t exactly behave like a typical white hat wearing good-guy. But above all, because they’re fun and exciting, and we could all use a little fun and excitement in our reading.


About Steve McHugh

Steve McHugh is the author of the popular Hellequin Chronicles. The fifth book, Lies Ripped Open, is out on 25 August 2015. He lives in Southampton on the south coast of England with his wife and three young daughters. When not writing or spending time with his kids, he enjoys watching movies, reading books and comics, and playing video games.

Find Steve McHugh on his Facebook page, website and Twitter - @StevejMchugh


Lies Ripped Open
Available from 25 August 2015


Synopsis: 
Over a hundred years have passed since a group of violent killers went on the rampage, murdering innocent victims for fun. But even back then, sorcerer Nate Garrett, aka Hellequin, knew there was more to it than simple savage pleasure—souls were being stolen.
Nate’s discovery of the souls’ use, and of those supporting the group’s plan, made him question everything he believed.
Now the group Nate thought long dead is back. Violent, angry, and hell-bent on revenge, they have Hellequin firmly in their sights. And if he won’t come willingly, they’ll take those closest to him first.

The battle begins again.


Find Lies Ripped open on Amazon UK here.  


No comments:

Post a Comment