Wednesday 29 June 2016

AUTHOR IN THE SPOTLIGHT - Lisa Hall

I am delighted that LISA HALL is joining me on my blog today. Her debut novel - Between You and Me - was published by Carina in March 2016. 




Your debut psychological thriller Between You and Me went straight to the top of the Amazon charts in March. Describe how your life has changed over the last few months?
Everything has been very busy – I never realised quite how much other stuff goes on behind the scenes once your book has been published!

Your next book – Tell Me No Lies – is being published in October 2016. Does it seem very different second time round?
There’s a lot more pressure the second time around – I wrote when I could when I was writing the first book, but the pressure of a deadline meant that I HAD to write at every spare moment for Book Two. Plus, there’s the added worry that readers might not like it as much as Book One!

Why do you think psychological thrillers are so popular, especially with female readers?
I think us ladies like to scare ourselves a bit…and it just so happens that we find everyday, ordinary things more scary than ghosts, monsters etc. The fact that things that happen in psych thrillers can potentially happen to all of us in real life is quite terrifying.

You’re off to New York in July for Thrillerfest, on a panel for debut authors – your first panel. Are you terrified, excited…?
A bit of both! I’m very excited to be meeting up with my fellow ITW debuts, but equally I’m a bit terrified about speaking on the panel, as it’s the first one I’ve done. I did a radio show last month which was scary, but not as bad as I thought it would be!

You’ve had a successful book blog for a number of years. Do you think reviewing books has helped you as an author?
I think the book reviewing gave me the courage to write my own book and put it out there. It was festering in the back of my mind for a long time but the idea of people reading something I had written was terrifying. Once I started reviewing and people started reading my words I managed to get over it a bit.

How do you make sure you’re getting the words down when you’re writing a first draft? What’s your writing routine like?
I am the queen of procrastination! I set myself a target of 2000 words a day – I don’t always hit it, but I find that once the words start coming I can usually make it, although not all of it makes it to the final cut. I should probably switch the Internet off when I’m writing, if I’m honest!

Looking back to your teenage years, what advice would you give your younger self?
Don’t think you just have to settle for what you have – you can do it; you just have to push yourself.

What advice do you have for aspiring authors, having been in that position not that long ago yourself?
Don’t give up – you just need your manuscript to land on the right desk at the right time.

And lastly, why should people read Between You and Me?         
Because it’s brilliant (apparently!).


About Lisa Hall

Lisa loves words, reading and everything there is to love about books. She has dreamed of being a writer since she was a little girl – either that or a librarian - and after years of talking about it, was finally brave enough to put pen to paper (and let people actually read it). Lisa lives in a small village in Kent, surrounded by her towering TBR pile, a rather large brood of children, dogs, chickens and ponies and her long-suffering husband. She is also rather partial to eating cheese and drinking wine.

Find Lisa Hall on her website and  Facebook page and follow Lisa on Twitter - @LisaHallAuthor


Between You and Me
Published by Carina (17 March 2016)
ISBN: 978-0008194505





Synopsis: 
They say every marriage has its secrets.
But no one sees what happens behind closed doors.
And sometimes those doors should never be opened …

Sal and Charlie are married. They love each other. But they aren’t happy. Sal cannot leave, no matter what Charlie does – no matter how much it hurts.

2 comments:

  1. Great post... congratulations on the success of your debut Lisa. Really interested in your thoughts on how blogging/reviewing helped your writing regarding overcoming your fears and finding confidence from people reading your words. I enjoy & value how reviewing helps me think about my own writing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa Hall will be contacting you directly to answer your question x

      Delete