Wednesday 7 December 2016

Too Close for Comfort by Eleanor Moran

Too Close for Comfort
By Eleanor Moran
Published by Simon & Schuster (22 September 2016)
ISBN: 978-1471141720



Publisher's description
Mia Cosgrove is a high-flying psychotherapist with a thriving practice, but when she receives a desperate phone call from her oldest friend, Lysette, she puts her London life on hold to rush to her side. A friend of Lysette’s, Sarah, has plunged to her death from the top of a multi-storey car park, a text message on her phone next to her, simply saying ‘I’m sorry’ with a single X, left unsent and unaddressed. 

At first the police are convinced it’s a suicide, but when another death rocks the rural community Mia is asked to help the ramped-up investigation. Why are the close-knit group of mums who surrounded Sarah so reluctant to share what they knew about their beautiful, troubled friend? And how high a price will Mia pay for her determination to unearth the truth and discover what really happened? 

My verdict 
I enjoyed A Daughter's Secret by the same author, so welcomed the opportunity to read Too Close for Comfort, which features some of the same characters.

Again, this book is a slow burner. It's more a psychological study of relationships between friends, with plenty of drama and intrigue, than a psychological thriller. There wasn't that much of a 'thriller' element, less than in the author's first book, although this didn't impact on my enjoyment at all.

The writing is beautiful, providing vivid descriptions of people and places. The characters are well drawn with realistic flaws. I found myself gradually immersed into the lives of these women and the close-knit community in which they live. I was intrigued to discover what secrets they were hiding - and why. There was so much raw emotion bubbling under the surface - and on the surface - from pain and grief to lies and bitterness. 

I admit I wasn't sure about the big reveal at the end - how realistic it was. But overall, this was a very enjoyable read and one that I would recommend.

I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment