Tuesday 22 May 2018

MY PUBLISHING LIFE with Louise Walters

Welcome to my latest MY PUBLISHING LIFE feature, an interview with a literary agent, publisher, publicist or editor about their publishing career to date. Some serious questions, and some just for fun!



Today I'm delighted to welcome 

LOUISE WALTERS

Publisher
at
Louise Walters Books


What and when was your first job in publishing?
My connection with publishing began in 2014 when my debut novel Mrs Sinclair’s Suitcase was published by Hodder. I self-published my second novel A Life Between Us via Troubador Publishing (Matador); for my third novel The Road to California I set up my own imprint, Louise Walters Books.

How long have you been working in your current job/role?
I set up LWB last year, so it’s been a few months. However, I was planning for a year or so before announcing my news in September 2017. 

Which books have you worked on recently/are you working on?
I’ve signed two authors so far. Laura Laakso’s Fallible Justice will be out in November 2018. It’s the first in her paranormal crime series Wilde Investigations. Laura is a fabulous writer and I’ve loved working with her. I’ve also signed poet Helen Kitson for her debut novel, The Last Words of Madeleine Anderson. I describe her novel as a literary thriller. It has more twists than a game of pontoon and is beautifully written. It will be published in March 2019. I can’t wait! 

Which qualifications/life skills/experience have helped you get to where you are today?
Since a very young age, I’ve been a book lover and avid reader. Being a writer is very helpful; critiquing and reading for competitions is also useful. I can often assess a piece of writing quickly. Less good writing announces itself almost immediately. The more accomplished work can be slippery… it’s not so obvious. When I’m umming and ahhing over something I know it’s probably good! Being a busy mum has helped me learn to juggle time and manage projects. I have occasional blips and panicky moments, but generally I’m organised and on top of tasks. I write up a new To Do list every week. It helps. 

How do you relax after a busy working day?
At the moment my days are long and I’m often still at my desk at 9pm! I do try to switch off at that point, though. I’ll have a hot drink and watch a bit of TV with my husband. Neither of us are big TV watchers so it’s usually something simple like Judge Judy! Or I’ll go to bed and read. Reading for work and pleasure are pretty much one and the same these days. 

What was the last book you read for pleasure?
I’m currently reading The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carre; not my usual kind of read but somebody recommended it on Twitter. I like to read outside my preferred genres. 

Describe your job in 15 words or less...
Reader, writer, editor, publisher: doing it all to the best of my ability. 

What have been the highlights of your publishing life so far
Reading Laura’s Fallible Justice for the second time on my Kindle and realising I had decided to offer her a book deal. It was so exciting and very scary! 

If you could try out any other job for one day (with no limits on money, travel etc.), what would you choose?
I fancy having a go at being a literary agent! 

If your publishing life was a book, what would the title be?
Independent, Always because I love being small, indie and autonomous. 

Thanks so much for taking part, Louise!


Look out for more MY PUBLISHING LIFE features coming soon.

Click here to read more MY PUBLISHING LIFE features.

If any literary agents, publishers, publicists or editors would like to take part, please contact me through my blog or Twitter for the full list of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment