Friday 3 November 2017

BEST OF CRIME with Lisa Cutts

Welcome to my latest BEST OF CRIME feature, looking at crime writers' top picks, from their favourite author and fictional detective to their best writing tip. 



Today I'm delighted to welcome 

LISA CUTTS


to share her BEST OF CRIME ...




... AUTHORS  
Agatha Christie is my favourite author. Long before I joined the police, I loved to read her books, now I appreciate them so much more. It’s fantastic to leave behind the world of DNA, CCTV, smartphones and technology to read about people and Christie’s wonderful perspective on what motivates people to murder each other. 

... FILMS/MOVIES
Murder on the Orient Express. Probably a little predictable that I love this film. I’m eagerly awaiting this year’s release and one of the few films I would make a point of seeing at the cinema. 


... TV DRAMAS
Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes were genius TV dramas. I must admit, it took me some time to catch on as I very rarely watch crime dramas, but I’m so glad I did. I loved everything about them.


... FICTIONAL KILLERS
Sorry, I don’t have one. It’s probably the job I do but I’ll never have a favourite murderer, even a fictional one. It goes against the grain. 


... FICTIONAL DETECTIVES 
Briggs and Louis from The Detectives. Jasper Carrott and Robert Powell portrayed the most realistic detectives I’ve ever seen on television, and managed to make me laugh at pretty much anything they said and did. I think part of the reason I like them so much is because they were normal, and very daft. 

... MURDER WEAPONS
An icicle would make a genius murder weapon. Stab your victim, then one quick thaw and it’s gone.  Of course, to get an icicle of such size and durability, you would probably need to take your intended victim to somewhere much colder than Kent. 
    

... DEATH SCENES
Years ago I read several Dick Francis books in fast succession. One of the characters was killed off by wrapping paper mache around his head and leaving him to suffocate. I can’t recall the title of the book as I read six or seven within a month but the image has stayed with me for the last fifteen years. 
  
  
... BLOGS/WEBSITES
Police Oracle is very useful for keeping up to date with some areas of policing I’m a little out of touch with. There are always some funny stories on there too that sometimes come in useful. 


... WRITING TIPS
Sit down and do it. There are days when I really don’t want to, just like any other job, yet I find that those can be the most productive. If the words later on need a rewrite, so be it.  


... WRITING SNACKS
This usually comes in the form of a liquid snack. It’s when I think I do my best work. This blog feature was brought to you with the assistance of a g & t. 


About LISA CUTTS
Lisa Cutts is the author of four police procedural novels, based on her twenty-one years of policing experience. She works as a detective constable for Kent Police and has spent over twelve years in the Serious Crime Directorate dealing mostly with murders and other serious investigations.
An extract from her first novel, Never Forget, won the Writer’s Retreat competition in 2012 and was published by Myriad Editions in 2013. The second in the DC Nina Foster series, Remember, Remember, was published in 2014 and her third book, Mercy Killing, the first in a new series, was published by Simon and Schuster on 20th October 2016. The second in the series, Buried Secrets is out in ebook now and the paperback is to be published on 2nd November 2017.
Her debut novel, Never Forget, won the 2014 Killer Nashville Silver Falchion Award for best thriller.
She is also very proud to be the patron of the Rochester Literary Festival and writes a monthly column in Writing Magazine. She has also appeared on ITV’s This Morning in her capacity as both a crime writer and a murder detective. 

Find Lisa Cutts on her website, on her Facebook page and on Twitter - @LisaCuttsAuthor


About BURIED SECRETS 



Publisher's description
To most people, Detective Inspector Milton Bowman appears to have an ideal life. But some secrets aren’t buried deep enough. And Milton’s Monday morning will not follow routine as he is caught in a major car accident on the way to East Rise incident room. His friend and colleague DI Harry Powell is given the unenviable task of delivering the message to Bowman's wife, Linda. Except she’s been murdered.
The team, including DC Hazel Hamilton, begin to examine every aspect of their colleague’s life as suspicion and disbelief take hold of those embroiled in the investigation. A web of deceit that fooled them all for years means no one is to be trusted – the Bowman family, friends, colleagues, even Harry Powell is under suspicion. Nothing is as it appears and nobody seems to be telling the truth. 

Buried Secrets was published by Simon & Schuster on 2 November 2017.


Look out for more BEST OF CRIME features coming soon.

Click here to read more BEST OF CRIME features.

No comments:

Post a Comment